Thursday 10 February 2011

Chicken & bacon in sauce, Cheap Meal

When I did my shopping earlier in the week I needed some pancetta for the meatloaf I was making. Instead of buying pancetta I bought a packet of bacon bits at a cost of 75p for 500g. I split the bag into four portions and frozen them. A portion was used in the meatloaf  Tuesday and I used a portion today to make



  CHICKEN & BACON IN SAUCE

1 Onion, chopped
knob butter
1 tbsp oil
100g bacon bits
3 tbsp plain flour
400mls chicken stock
400mls milk
400g cooked leftover chicken
2 tsp dried parsley
salt & pepper

VEGETABLE RICE

Basmati rice
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
pinch salt
carrot, diced & cooked
peas, cooked

Fry the onion in the oil and butter for 5 minutes.
Add the bacon bits and cook for a further 5 minutes.
In a bowl add the flour and mix in the milk.
Add the chicken stock to the onion & bacon and bring to the boil.
Add the milk & flour mix and stir continually until thickened.
Add the cooked chicken, parsley and seasoning.
Cook for 10 minutes or until piping hot.
Serve with vegetable rice.

Cook the rice in a pan of cold water that just covers the rice adding the turmeric and salt.
When rice is boiling put a lid on the pot and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Drain rice into a sieve and rinse with boiling water then mix in the vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment